Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memesheepage!

Would you believe that I had an entire week of overnight shifts and I didn't update once? Bad me, no cookies.

To make up for it, I'm going to do a meme. Yeah, a cop-out. :P

7 Random Things About Me: (surprisingly enough, in all my internet years I have never done this meme)

1. I was born with both my feet clubfooted, as were my two next-in-line brothers. We were all three part of that annoying 5% that needed surgery to correct it. Christopher and I have each had surgery twice on each foot, once as infants, and then again in Grade 2. I got to be in a wheelchair for a few weeks, and I enjoyed it immensely. When I got my casts off my feet felt so light that they kept flying up off the floor! Fortunately I had a walker until I got my balance again.

2. I started at the French Lycee de Jerusalem for grade 1 knowing only one phrase of French. As I walked through the gate the first day I remember whispering to myself, "Bonjour, comment allez-vous?" over and over again. I was fluent enough in a few months to argue with a boy who was trying to steal my pottery creation. Six-year-olds are amazing. After we moved back to Canada I stayed in French schools for two more years until my parents pulled me out so that I could learn my native tongue. :P I've lost a lot since then, but my accent is pretty good, and I can make idle conversation.

3. I've been treated for mild OCD, but it's the least useful sort. No matter how much I clean it, my room is always a mess.

4. For the first nine years of my life we moved almost every year (four of those years we moved within the city). Then we stayed put for the better part of a decade. It was bewildering. I've lived in Dundas, ON; Boston, MA; St. John's, NL; Jerusalem, Israel; back to St. John's; Pella, IA; Cairo, Egypt; back to Pella; and then out to Halifax for school.

5. I'd wanted to go to King's for years, since my mum suggested it in Grade 8. For five years I dreamed about King's, memorized its website, talked to my parents' friends' kids who had gone there, and I only applied there and a place I really didn't want to go to, but I still didn't think I'd ever actually go. I got accepted...and then Dad sat down to work out finances with me! I was over the moon! I sent in my acceptance just a few days after my 18th birthday. I'm actually living my dream!

6. I've played clarinet for ten years, piano for four, cello for two, and I've sung all my life. I quit piano lessons in grade 6, but I can still play with some difficulty. I quit cello when our orchestra teacher moved in grade 8. I still play clarinet, though not formally at the moment, and I was second chair all through high school (more through talent than work). I currently sing in the King's Chapel Choir and the St. George's choir.

7. I was one of the last people in my immediate family who learned how to knit. My oldest little brother and two little sisters both learned before I succumbed. After they shamed me into it, I sat down at the computer one night and learned how to cast on (the long-tail CO), and then pestered my mother while the family watched Unsolved Mysteries. In the middle of the night, I found that I had reached a tangled point of no return, and had to frog it, but I couldn't remember how to cast on again. Ashamed of waking my mother up to do it again for me, I went to bed and toddled off to the library the next day for rescources. Everything after that came from the internet or a book. My first project was a 9-foot-long, 70-stitches-in-the-round Harry Potter Ravelclaw scarf.
(Incidentally, I'm the only one that still knits with any regularity.)
So, there you go, more than you ever wanted to know.

No comments: